If you aren’t sure you have every type of insurance coverage you need, do you know which one you should purchase next? Many people know they need several different products for their personal and professional needs, but they don’t know which should be the next one to focus on.
In this article we’d like to provide you some things to consider. Please keep in mind, we can’t say for certain what your next move should be since every person’s situation is unique, and there are exceptions to every rule.
Start With Health
For most people, getting general health coverage is the first priority. Without your health, nothing else in life would matter. And, some health needs can be financially devastating if you don’t have the proper coverage. We specialize in health coverage for cosmetologists in California, and we are authorized providers for Covered CA plans. If you don’t have health coverage yet, visit our health insurance page to get started: https://fortierinsurance.com/products/health-insurance/
Dental & Vision
As a subcategory of health insurance, usually dental and vision plans are separate products. Many people purchase these along with their health insurance, or shortly after. These products can be relatively inexpensive, yet profoundly affect your well being. Also we’ve negotiated some great group rates for you:
- Enroll the 1st of every month
- No waiting period
- No claim forms
- Large network of dentist across the state
Life Insurance or Disability Insurance?
These two products are often the next in line after health care is secured. Ideally you would get both of these around the same time, as soon as possible. If you must pick, then you would consider your financial, family, and work situations. Here are some questions to consider:
- are you married?
- does your spouse work, and who earns more?
- could you make it on one of your incomes if necessary?
- how long could you afford to go without a paycheck?
- do you have kids, and if so how old are they and how many?
- what line of work are you in?
- what are the risks of injury on the job?
You might want to get life insurance first if any of these are true:
- if you have children, and you are the breadwinner
- if you are married and one of you can’t work for any reason
You may want to consider disability (income) insurance first if:
- if you are single
- if you are self-employed
However, everybody’s situation has unique issues to consider. Schedule a phone appointment and we’ll be happy to help guide your decision for no extra cost!
It’s Never Too Early
Don’t make the mistake of waiting too long to get life insurance. The earlier you can get it the better, so you can lock in lower rates for the term of the plan while you are healthy. If you get a new diagnosis later, your future rates could be much higher.
Related Posts on Life Insurance:
- Tax Diversification and Retirement
- Do I need life insurance?
- Life Insurance—In my 30s?
- Does My Business Need Life Insurance?
Related Posts on Disability Insurance:
- The State of Disability Protection in the Beauty Industry
- I’m Young & Healthy – Do I Need Disability Insurance?
- Insurance for the Independent Contractor
- Private vs Group Disability Insurance